Thursday 24 July 2008

Search & Recovery

As I was swimming today at our local swimming pool a lifeguard approached me and asked if I could help one of the other swimmers. It turned out that he lost one of his custom made contact lenseses in the pool. I thought 'no way I can find this lens' as there were lots of people swimming, but I didn't want to dissappoint the lifeguard so I agreed. I did a quick breathhold warm up and swam towards the area of the pool where the lens was lost. Remembering my search & recovery skills acquired during the AOWD and Rescue courses I applied the U-pattern. This was easier in the pool as I could follow the tiles on the bottom. On the other hand it was harder because I had to surface to get a breath. I wasn't expecting to find the lens, so I was surprised and happy when it appeared right before my eyes on the second or third turn :)

The guy who lost the lens was even happier - he said that if I hadn't found it he would have to wait one month before he could get a replacement...

No comments:

Post a Comment