Tuesday 22 January 2008

56m Dynamic With Fins - New Life Record

Today I've set my life record in Dynamic With Fins (DYN). This is a discipline of freediving in which you swim the longest distance you can on a single breath. It is one of disciplines recognized by AIDA - the international freediving association. There are also other disciplines, you can read about them on AIDAs site. Some of them don't appeal to me, the ones I consider fun are: DYN, DNF, CNF, CWT:
DYN
Dynamic With Fins - swimming the longest distance you can underwater on a single breath
DNF
Dynamic Without Fins - like DYN but no propulsion aids are allowed
CWT
Constant Weight - descent and ascent with fins only
CNF
Constant Weight Without Fins - descent and ascent without any aids

The world records (men) in these discipnes, sanctioned by AIDA, and my own pathetic records are (this is true as of 22.01.2008):
DisciplineWorld RecordMy record
CWT83m5m(max pool depth)
CNF112m5m(max pool depth)
DYN244m56m
DNF1865m25m

Of course I also keep track of what's going on in the other ones, you can check current AIDA records here.


A picture of me going for the surface, taken last summer in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt
We train at our local pool and at Warsaw's deepest pool in The Palace of Culture (PKiN). Trainings in PKiN are supervised by instructors from our dive center, Nautica Warszawa, whereas at our local pool we have to rely on the lifeguards who also watch other swimmers. They tend to get very anxious each time we put on our fins and masks, they even require us to inform them if we plan to swim more than 25m (I already wrote why). This is a bit of a nuisance , but safety's first:).
As for the record - I plan to reach 75m in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment