Thursday 21 February 2008

My first regulator - Apeks ATX-40

My regulator finally, after a month of waiting, arrived. It's my first regulator so im very excited about this. I bought a set of two ATX-40 second stages (one black, one yellow), one DS4 first stage and a small SPG. A driver CD was also included... ermm... cross that out, I think I bought too many computer parts recently:) Anyway the whole set is on the picture.



This regulator set conforms to the EN250 standard, which means it is suitable for cold water diving. There are also two solutions that should reduce the possibility of the regulator freezing: the first stage is environmentaly sealed and the second stage has a heat exchanger mounted on its hose. However, in my set the heat exchanger has not been mounted on the octopus' hose, which is bad, as the person who will be breathing from it is likely to breathe rapidly which in turn is likely to freeze the regulator and cause freeflow.

The regulator has one knob you can turn - the Integrated Venturi System (IVS). The IVS uses the Venturi effect to make breathing easier, however it may also cause freeflow.

I ordered that regualtor online and I forgot to check if it has all the hoses. It turned out that it didn't, the inflator hose was not included, but I've sorted it out.

Now I can't wait to try my new regulator out :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment